var is mysteriously clogged

Paul Sutton zen14920-1HOZaDBbGgxaa/9Udqfwiw at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 26 21:45:39 UTC 2005

Hi

Is there a cron job or similar that periodically cleans the system, as
Linux is designed to be on 24/7 then it would perhaps be run at midnight
when a server in quieter,  so perhaps if you system is not running 24/7
the computer is turned off, when this would noramally run.

While nuking the system and reinstalling may be a good option,  this is
not an option in a mission critical environment, perhaps its worth
investigating how to fix this,  as the knowledge would come in handy
should you ever be in a similar situation when it needs to be fixed or
should someone else on the lug be in such a situation.

perhaps looking at your cron setup and see what runs, if you see
something that clearly does something e.g clears /var/log at a certain
time then you could try that,

Not sure this is just a wild guess, I know log files can be pretty big
after awhile.  This has to be fixable other wise if its a case of nuke /
reinstall you may as well use windows, as you would do that with
windows,  the point of Linux is that you don't have to or at least not
as often.

Hope this is useful,  perhaps comments on if this is the right solution.

Paul