Contributions to developers

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 26 16:05:23 UTC 2005

In this season that is getting so associated with gratuitous excess,
let me suggest an action that can help encourage the free software
community...

Namely, this week, excess greeting cards should be coming available at
really cut-rate prices.  :-)

Those of us that have been "blessed" with decent earnings this year
might consider grabbing a card or two, putting a small bill or two in,
and sending them off to developers associated with one or another of
your favorite projects.

There are people being paid full time by notable companies like Red
Hat, Novell, and such; they aren't in such need of assistance; in
contrast, there are plenty of little projects that haven't got any
"formal corporate sponsorship" where a little bit of encouragement can
go a long ways.

Mind you, seeing kind words come in can be considerably "moralizing"
(contrast with "demoralizing"!) whereever the developers may be.

Between now and New Year's, I'm going to see about finding a few
places to send some cards.  If a few others can do the same, that
could be a pretty spectacular bit of encouragement to some projects.

I am NOT going to recommend anyone as being more worthy; the more
diversity, the better.

I hope people have had some Merry times thus far, and that there are
some Happy times to come as the New Year approaches!
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)