sending receiving email on bells sympatico smtp port filtering using evolution

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 24 19:03:18 UTC 2005

On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 11:41:47PM -0500, teddy mills wrote

> Another solution someone recommended was to use SSH and create a SSH
> tunnel. How does one create a SSH tunnel just for SMTP traffic? I am not
> going to do that now of course, but it would be good to know as well.

  The other end has to be running sshd, of course.  I have an email
account with a provider in Logansport, Indiana because they've hacked up
qmail to allow end-users to configure SMTP-stage filters, using a config
file in their home directory.  I can use DNSbls of my choosing, block on
IP address range, rDNS, envelope-sender, etc.  And rejections are 550 at
SMTP time, not a bounce to an innocent 3rd party whose address has been
forged by a spammer or virus.  I admin the filter, without having to
admin qmail.  I only use it as an inbox, and webpage.  Here's my script
for fetching from my remote inbox...

#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/ssh -f -L 10110:pop3.clss.net:110 MyUserID-1sV0mdQTbhc at public.gmane.org sleep 25
getmail -v -v -v --rcfile rc_clss

  Because regular users can't redirect privileged ports, I use port
10110 locally, and configure getmail to read from 127.0.0.1:10110.  Here
is one very important item to remember... the tunnel stays open until
the last process using the port exits.  The "sleep 25" process is there
as a placeholder, to keep the connection open until getmail connects
with the POPserver.  If it takes several minutes to download all my
mail (when I'm using dialup), that works OK.  getmail is the last
process using the port here.

  You can use port 119 (nntp) or 25 (smtp) or any other fixed port.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca