sending receiving email on bells sympatico smtp port filtering using evolution

Ivan Avery Frey ivan.frey-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sun Dec 25 00:31:36 UTC 2005

I was configuring email for someone who was on Sympatico HSE. They had
always sent email through U of T's SMTP server, when U of T was their ISP.

But you shouldn't have to change the SMTP server when you use a 3rd
party ISP. U of T saves your IP address when you receive mail and so
you're automatically authenticated to send email through their SMTP server.

Sympatico of course would block traffic to port 25 if it wasn't destined
for their SMTP server.

So my friend cancelled their service. So when I told them the reason
their less than competent (no offense to people involved) technical
support would give me a song and dance about how it wasn't possible to
do what I wanted to do. I told them their competitor Rogers had no
problem allowing traffic to reach U of T's SMTP servers.

Some days later, I tried to send mail and it went through. So I
cancelled the cancellation.

Later when I was talking to Bell, they mentioned that if I'm having a
problem with 1st level technical support, to ask to speak with 2nd level
technical support.

Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukkah
Ivan.