sending receiving email on bells sympatico smtp port filtering using evolution

teddy mills lfeder-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 23 04:41:47 UTC 2005

http://vger1.dyndns.org/i/evolution-receiving.png
http://vger1.dyndns.org/i/evolution-sending.png

These are two PNG files of the Linux Evolution email client. I am using
Sympatico HSE. In my case it is VDSL, but should work on any Bell
Sympatico HSE.

I have not tried these settings with ThunderBird. Previously I tried
almost every possible SMTP sending combination on Thunderbird, but it
would never send email.  I could recieve mail okay, just could not send
Bell Sympatico email out on Thunderbird.

I was having problems with the Sympatico port 25 filtering and Linux
email clients. However, these settings seem to work okay with Evolution.
(v2.02)

I am behind a NAT/Firewall and mail still can be sent and recieved okay
now. Alrighty then.

Another solution someone recommended was to use SSH and create a SSH
tunnel. How does one create a SSH tunnel just for SMTP traffic? I am not
going to do that now of course, but it would be good to know as well.

/teddy