apt-get problem

Herb Richter hgr-FjoMob2a1F7QT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 17 19:58:35 UTC 2005

I have a problem with one computer running knoppix(4.0)/dedian.

While preparing to install a driver for a HP printer as per HP's
instructions(?) on hpinkjet.sourceforge.net,  an apt-get install ___
failed but went on to remove a *lot* of files including all/most of KDE.

Now I am unable to install / remove *any* packages using either apt-get or
aptitude.  Both seem to get hung trying to remove "kdebluetooth" :

------------------------

root ~ # aptitude
(Reading database ... 81870 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing kdebluetooth ...
dpkg-divert: mismatch on divert-to
  when removing `diversion of /usr/bin/kdesktop_lock to
/usr/bin/kdesktop_lock_nobt by kdebluetooth'
  found `diversion of /usr/bin/kdesktop_lock to
/usr/bin/kdesktop_lock.orig by kdelock-knoppix'
dpkg: error processing kdebluetooth (--remove):
 subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 2
 kdebluetooth
Ack!  Something bad happened while installing packages.  Trying to
recover:
Press return to continue.

------------------------

...I've tried a few things to work around this - like keep/hold
kdebluetooth, running dselect and renaming
"/var/cache/apt/archives/libbluetooth1_2.19-1_i386.deb" but nothing has
worked.

...it looks like kdebluetooth does not actually exist except in some
apt-get table or cache.

What can I try now?

BTW, when KDE was removed, icewm remained and, actually, it looks pretty
good!  I'll probably use this instead of an environment like KDE on that
particular machine but I do need a screensaver which I can't apt-get
right now.

TIA,

--

        Herb Richter  <hgr-FjoMob2a1F7QT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>