apt-get problem

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sun Dec 18 02:07:22 UTC 2005

Herb Richter <hgr-FjoMob2a1F7QT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> writes:

> I have a problem with one computer running knoppix(4.0)/dedian.
>
> While preparing to install a driver for a HP printer as per HP's
> instructions(?) on hpinkjet.sourceforge.net,  an apt-get install ___
> failed but went on to remove a *lot* of files including all/most of KDE.
>
> Now I am unable to install / remove *any* packages using either apt-get or
> aptitude.  Both seem to get hung trying to remove "kdebluetooth" :
>
> ------------------------
>
> root ~ # aptitude
> (Reading database ... 81870 files and directories currently installed.)
> Removing kdebluetooth ...
> dpkg-divert: mismatch on divert-to
>   when removing `diversion of /usr/bin/kdesktop_lock to
> /usr/bin/kdesktop_lock_nobt by kdebluetooth'
>   found `diversion of /usr/bin/kdesktop_lock to
> /usr/bin/kdesktop_lock.orig by kdelock-knoppix'
> dpkg: error processing kdebluetooth (--remove):
>  subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 2
>  kdebluetooth
> Ack!  Something bad happened while installing packages.  Trying to
> recover:
> Press return to continue.
>
> ------------------------
>
> ...I've tried a few things to work around this - like keep/hold
> kdebluetooth, running dselect and renaming
> "/var/cache/apt/archives/libbluetooth1_2.19-1_i386.deb" but nothing has
> worked.
>
> ...it looks like kdebluetooth does not actually exist except in some
> apt-get table or cache.
>
> What can I try now?

Try to forcibly remove kdebluetooth:

    # dpkg -r --force-all kdebluetooth

If that succeeds, fix APT:

    # apt-get install -f

This may or may not install/remove a lot of package to satisfy dependencies.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
647.722.5301                                      toronto, ontario, canada