Promoting Open Source in Schools

Tony Abou-Assaleh taa-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 17 18:14:26 UTC 2005

> >>But the real question I have is the following.
> >>
> >>Wouldnt it be less expensive to use just one powerfull machine for
> >>entire school/organization and connect to it by using 100$ terminal
> >>machines only, and run in that way any X applications?
> >

> > It really depends. If the school already has h/w, then there is a big cost
> > of getting a new powerful machine. If they need new machines anyway, I
> > think the terminal setup ends up cheaper overall (so I heard, I didn't do
> > the math).
>
> It would indeed be good to have some deeper studies on that, not to
> speculate.
>
> If that is so, I would believe that this is a good argument for using
> Linux. Why? The lifetime of computers used is rather short and probably
> does not extend in average to more than let say 3 years. Hence, it might
> be a good idea to instead of changing all computers to use the oldered
> as terminals and invest available money into buying a new central one.

I almost got involved in a project to do just that in NS: reuse old
obsolete hardware as terminal and use the money to buy a server.
Unfortunately, the guy who was negotiating the project with the government
suddenly disappeared and the project died.

Cheers,

TAA

Tony Abou-Assaleh
Lecturer, Computer Science Department
Brock University, St. Catharines, ON, Canada, L2S 3A1
Office: MC J215
Tel:    +1(905)688-5550 ext. 5243
Fax:    +1(905)688-3255
Email:  taa-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org