Promoting Open Source in Schools

Zbigniew Koziol zkoziol-Zd07PnzKK1IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 17 18:43:39 UTC 2005

Tony Abou-Assaleh wrote:

>>If that is so, I would believe that this is a good argument for using
>>Linux. Why? The lifetime of computers used is rather short and probably
>>does not extend in average to more than let say 3 years. Hence, it might
>>be a good idea to instead of changing all computers to use the oldered
>>as terminals and invest available money into buying a new central one.
>

> I almost got involved in a project to do just that in NS: reuse old
> obsolete hardware as terminal and use the money to buy a server.
> Unfortunately, the guy who was negotiating the project with the government
> suddenly disappeared and the project died.

That and all my talking today would confirm that there is potentially a
really huge niche market around for a new approach to using computers at
smaller companies. I know, inertia, laziness to learn, ignorance, and a
lack of imagination of people are the largest barrier. But we are
talking about billions of dollars. And the place for Linux.

zb.