Promoting Open Source in Schools

paul sutton zen14920-1HOZaDBbGgxaa/9Udqfwiw at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 17 18:12:15 UTC 2005

If you are installing software over the network this kind of eliminates
the need for a cdrom altogether,  given that you can produce a image
either locally or on the server.  add this to removing the floppy driive
given they are no longer really requied,   yes change the BIOS password
to prevent boot not from the above but from usb drives,  which can hold
entire operating systems.  However if you just have monitors on the
desks and hide the main PC boxes behind panels, then you could eliminate
a lot of attempts to hack the system or run things.

Clearly the USB pen drives have their good uses, so this could be
problematic,  however just solve this by allowing VPN access to the
system for the students, so they can save homework to the school network.

I think I read somewhere that the best way to prevent people hacking (or
cracking a system) is to prevent physical access,  once I have that I
can do quite a lot.

Paul

,