Promoting Open Source in Schools

Zbigniew Koziol zkoziol-Zd07PnzKK1IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 17 17:33:16 UTC 2005

Tony Abou-Assaleh wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Dec 2005, Zbigniew Koziol wrote:

>>Isnt the same in this case danger with using Linux as well? One needs
>>just the first installation CD to put in and get full access (not even
>>with of the same distribution). Or is there perhaps a way that this
>>could be prevented?
>

> As easy to do in Linux as it is in Windows. To prevent, add BIOS password
> and disable boot from the CDROM.

How simple and obvious... :)

>>But the real question I have is the following.
>>
>>Wouldnt it be less expensive to use just one powerfull machine for
>>entire school/organization and connect to it by using 100$ terminal
>>machines only, and run in that way any X applications?
>

> It really depends. If the school already has h/w, then there is a big cost
> of getting a new powerful machine. If they need new machines anyway, I
> think the terminal setup ends up cheaper overall (so I heard, I didn't do
> the math).

It would indeed be good to have some deeper studies on that, not to
speculate.

If that is so, I would believe that this is a good argument for using
Linux. Why? The lifetime of computers used is rather short and probably
does not extend in average to more than let say 3 years. Hence, it might
be a good idea to instead of changing all computers to use the oldered
as terminals and invest available money into buying a new central one.

zb.