Promoting Open Source in Schools

Yanni Chiu yanni-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 17 01:13:43 UTC 2005

Evan Leibovitch wrote:

> Thankfully, the politics isn't stopping the action at the grassroots
> level, but as is so often the case there's little support from above.

There's a project in the Extremadura region of Spain,
where the federal govt (to help out one of it's poorer
regions) and the local government and education authorities
have got 60,000 machines installed with Linux and Squeak Etoys.
(It seems like 80,000 machines now, but I can't be sure
since it's in Spanish).

The Etoys environment is designed for children (optimally
in Grade 5) as an environment for learning. Here are
some links (some are Spanish sites though):

    http://www.linex.org
    http://squeak.linex.org
    http://www.small-land.org
    http://www.squeakland.org

BTW, there is a Toronto School Board trustee that has
some interest in the Squeak/Etoys work. I can dig up
his/her name if anyone is interested.