Promoting Open Source in Schools

Igor Denisov denisov-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 17 04:09:24 UTC 2005

> BTW, there is a Toronto School Board trustee that has
> some interest in the Squeak/Etoys work. I can dig up
> his/her name if anyone is interested.

Interesting, it seems there is some progress...
(actually, I _would_ like to know the trustee's name)

About a year ago, I've talked to the head of IT at the TDSB regarding Linux.

The board's view is approximately this: the OS is just a place to run programs.

Many of these programs, like Geometer's Sketchpad, VB 6.0, etc. are
tightly integrated into the curriculum.
Some textbooks assume Sketchpad will be used and have tutorials for it.

As far as I know, there are no Linux-native versions of ~90-95% of the
software the board wants to be available in classrooms.

This is why Linux is mostly left to the occasional knolwdgeable comp
sci. teacher to tinker with in the labs.