Promoting Open Source in Schools

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 16 23:50:49 UTC 2005

Hi Peter,

>>http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-503108.html
>>

>That's an interesting article, Evan. Do you have any sense of whether
>there has been progress on that front in the intervening years?

I do know that the Jamaican government has started to learn about the
merits of open source and more schools have started to use it. Now that
this is happening, though, there's another threat. Microsoft is giving
huge handouts to developing countries, sometimes in cash or computers
but often in "forgiven" illegal licenses, in order to maintain the
dependency and increase obstacles to change.

At a UN conference I attended earlier this year in Geneva, the biggest
detractors of FOSS amazingly came from some of the poorest countries,
whose representatives might as well have been reading a prepared script
singing the praises of proprietary vendors. The most vocal, I recall,
was Zimbabwe. (That conference was also memorable to me, because at the
speakers' dinner organizers accidentally sat Stallman next to the lawyer
from Microsoft and me right across from them ;-) ).

Thankfully, the politics isn't stopping the action at the grassroots
level, but as is so often the case there's little support from above.
The large Microsoft grants to the United Nations Development Program
hasn't prevented many regional office of the UNDP from still being very
pro-open-source, however their doing so right now goes against the
"party line". And thankfully there are many NGOs out there who
understand the drug-pusher-style tactics of cutting prices (or handing
out free samples) in order to build or maintain dependency. But it's
still an uphill climb.

Notably, the above tactics have been used without any success at all in
China, where one company estimated that almost one in three desktops now
run Linux and the gap continues to close.

Just my opinions, of course.

- Evan