Linux still largely invisible in the marketplace

Raymond J. Payne ray-UsHhwO8CmvuakBO8gow8eQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 8 19:30:58 UTC 2005

I think a lot of it comes from the fact it's free.  Two major issues
because of that.  There is no advertising budget to make people want
Linux.  If you don't already know of Linux, then it's unlikely you'll
hear much about it.  Since everyone hears about Windows, then that's the
way users that don't know much will be inclined to go.  The second issue
I often run into is that if it's free, it can't be any good.  People
have a serious mental block with installing a free operating system
legally thinking it's a good OS.  But the same people will either not
upgrade from Windows 95 because they don't want to part with the money,
or pirate newer versions.

If you're referring to Linux just on the server level, I think it's
making quite an impact all things considered.  Most small to medium
sized companies I know of that have more than a server or two for any
purpose all typically seem to either have or be planning Linux based
servers.  Very few companies I'm aware of personally are using Apple
server products.