Linux still largely invisible in the marketplace

Peter plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 8 20:29:54 UTC 2005

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005, Rick Tomaschuk wrote:

> I travel a lot through the US and Canada and am frustrated that after
> the last 10 years of working to promote Linux (it) is still largely
> invisible in the market place especially when compared to the Apple
> and their pirated lookalike copy called Windows produced by the convicted
> monopolist Microsoft. The industry rag Computing Canada (also CDN) pretty
> much ignores Linux and focuses on piracy. I sent their editor an email
> complaining about their support for an illegal monopoly. I suppose that
> is where their advertising $$ are coming from.  Is it really
> possible to steal from lawyers and thieves?

Yes, but one would have to become a politician to pull that one off
imho.

> What is needed are more high profile brand name devices which clearly
> indicate they are powered by Linux OR some other operating system. I'm
<snip>

http://www.linuxdevices.com

The PDA, router, cell phone, and entertainment center used by idiots who
proclaim 'not to be using Linux' may very well have been taken over a
couple of years ago already. Even if one disregards the signature of
email servers on their messages, often attesting to the fact that they
are clueless (for example with their own organization's email being
handled by linux servers and open source virus checkers and mail
servers, or, if they are large enough, most of their web caching being
handled by akmai).

Peter