Linux still largely invisible in the marketplace

Rick Tomaschuk rickl-ZACYGPecefkm4kRHVhTciCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 8 18:34:40 UTC 2005

I travel a lot through the US and Canada and am frustrated that after
the last 10 years of working to promote Linux (it) is still largely
invisible in the market place especially when compared to the Apple
and their pirated lookalike copy called Windows produced by the convicted
monopolist Microsoft. The industry rag Computing Canada (also CDN) pretty
much ignores Linux and focuses on piracy. I sent their editor an email
complaining about their support for an illegal monopoly. I suppose that
is where their advertising $$ are coming from.  Is it really
possible to steal from lawyers and thieves?

What is needed are more high profile brand name devices which clearly
indicate they are powered by Linux OR some other operating system. I'm
not an open source advocate to the core. I believe competition should be
encouraged in the free market. Pretty tough to do when basic anti
monopolistic laws aren't enforced. Other computing companies exist out
there but do not receive much high profile promotion. I noticed quite a
bit of "infighting" lately on the list server. Hey people...take a stand
and rather than fight over a "piece of the pie"...make your own pie and
get on with it...
RickT
http://www.TorontoNUI.ca