TLUG and government grants

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 8 04:35:40 UTC 2005

CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:

> As I understand it, GTALUG was formed by some subset of TLUG to
> collect membership dues so that they could figure out what to do with
> the membership dues once they had them. I have read various ideas of
> what they want to do with the dues and list them below.
>
> * buy a projector

Sometimes problematic, this would be useful.

> * pay for meeting space

Generally freely available from corporations and education institutions
from what I have seen.

> * protect members from legal liability

Dunno, could be.  I sure wouldn't want to be a director of GTALUG if
this was the purpse, assume liability for all members, no thanks.

> * "go after contracts"
> * "go after government grants"

This sounds very much for-profit, certainly not activity of a
user/advocacy group.

> Paid-up membership in GTALUG apparently also gives one the right to
> vote for directors who in turn are some day supposed to figure out
> what GTALUG, this formal layer above TLUG, is and why it is
> necessary.
>
> Did I miss anything?

Hopefully you have.

One possibly useful outcome of incorporation might be the ability to
invite paid speakers to TLUG meetings.  Toronto Perl Mongers (or
possibly a very small subset) managed to arrange several visits by
Damien Conway, outrageously successful talks.  I also recall them
arranging a YAPC conference.  They may not be incorporated mind you ...