TLUG and government grants

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 7 20:44:01 UTC 2005

On December 6, 2005 19:13, Tim Writer wrote:
> William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org> writes:
> > On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 03:49:33AM -0500, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> > > William Park wrote:
> > > It was not I who changed the rules and said that TLUG was
> > > morphing into a pay-to-join organization.
> >
> > There you go again.  TLUG used to be just mailing list and
> > monthly meetings.  That will stay the same.  GTALUG is just a
> > formal layer created on top of that.  You've been involved with
> > TLUG far longer than me.
>
> That's true.
>
> > And, I fail to see why you need this explained so repeatedly.
>
> Because it has never been properly explained. I suspect that Evan
> and I aren't the only long time members who feel that way.

As I understand it, GTALUG was formed by some subset of TLUG to
collect membership dues so that they could figure out what to do with
the membership dues once they had them. I have read various ideas of
what they want to do with the dues and list them below.

* buy a projector

* pay for meeting space

* protect members from legal liability

* "go after contracts"

* "go after government grants"

Paid-up membership in GTALUG apparently also gives one the right to
vote for directors who in turn are some day supposed to figure out
what GTALUG, this formal layer above TLUG, is and why it is
necessary.

Did I miss anything?
--
Regards,