TLUG and government grants

John Macdonald john-Z7w/En0MP3xWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 8 06:34:49 UTC 2005

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 11:35:40PM -0500, Fraser Campbell wrote:
> CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:
>
> >Did I miss anything?
>
> Hopefully you have.
>
> One possibly useful outcome of incorporation might be the ability to
> invite paid speakers to TLUG meetings.  Toronto Perl Mongers (or
> possibly a very small subset) managed to arrange several visits by
> Damien Conway, outrageously successful talks.  I also recall them
> arranging a YAPC conference.  They may not be incorporated mind you ...

Toronto Perl Mongers is not incorporated.  The individual
members arranged for Damian's visits (the group as a whole did
about 30% of the work and one individual did the other 70%).
The YAPC conference was again a work of the entire group, with
some few doing larger shares of the load.  The aspects of the
Damian talks that required signatures (if any - I don't know
if any signatures were required to get the presentation rooms,
otherwise no signatures were required) would have been done
personally by one individual.  For YAPC, The Perl Foundation
(a U.S. based non-profit) provided some signatures, but again
much was done with personal guarantees by the organizer.
The monthly meetings and mailing list have also carried on
without any incorporated entity being involved.  Payment for
speakers (such as Damian) is done by the organizer stating on
the mailing list that some money will be required and enough
of the mongers agree to chip in that the costs are covered -
and if that hadn't happened, the discussion was done early
enough that the event could have been cancelled if the money
were essential to it happening.