TLUG and government grants

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 6 04:46:24 UTC 2005

On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 09:31:34PM -0500, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> >Evan, my post was just an idea for those looking for ways to get some
> >Gov money.
> >
> It did nothing of the sort. It noted someone else that received Gov
> money and then invited community members (who were prepared to do all
> the work) to use the GTALUG corporate structure from which to apply for
> money for a similar project. It actually invites what would be a massive
> failure, in that the Gov is unlikely to fund multiple projects that are
> largely identical. A new computer recycling project is now very unlikely
> to get Trillium money for a while.

Only you are saying about duplicating what they're doing.  First,
Trillium might fund identical project based on different geography.
Second, it would be instructive to study what/how/who they did.  Third,
one might find a new angle during the process.

Both of us are speculating.  Meanwhile, thing will get done, if and only
if someone carry the ball.

> >Whether the project is under GTALUG or CLUE, is least of my concern.
> >

> Where did CLUE come into this?

You are CLUE, and you are complaining about GTALUG.  Why?

> >If you and CLUE have idea that you'll like to share with the rest of
> >Linux community, then I'll work with you.
> >
> CLUE and I already have our hands full with a major the
> not-yet-announced national open source project. In the meantime, There
> is plenty of work to be done in other areas -- but first GTALUG needs
> some vision and it needs to show some leadership if it's to play a
> valuable role in the community (let alone attract significant membership).

Evan, it seems that you have enough vision and insight for rest of us.
I'll defer those things to you.  I wish you good sailing on your
national open source project.  Write us time to time.

--
William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>, Toronto, Canada
BashDiff: Super Bash shell