How to mount SD card as RW

Ian Zimmerman nobrowser-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 3 04:02:08 UTC 2005

Steve> Hi, I've got a USB multi-card reader, but when I put in an SD
Steve> card, it mounts is a read-only file system. The tab is not set to
Steve> read-only, and I am able to read-write when it is in my Palm
Steve> Tungsten.

Steve> I am using Ubuntu Hoary, and it auto mounts to /media/<cardname>/
Steve> (in my case: /media/SD256/).

What version of the kernel?

There was some confusion about mounting USB storage devices in 2.4 and
then early in 2.6.  I think for a while you had to change something in
your kernel compile-time configuration to make it work.  I've looked in
my /boot/config-* but I can't find anything; of course I am at 2.6.12
now and it has long "just worked", at least for me.

Googling for some of the words I used should turn up something.

--
A true pessimist won't be discouraged by a little success.