How to mount SD card as RW

Jason Shein jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 2 20:29:50 UTC 2005

On December 2, 2005 03:15 pm, Steve wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a USB multi-card reader, but when I put in an SD card, it
> mounts is a read-only file system. The tab is not set to read-only, and
> I am able to read-write when it is in my Palm Tungsten.
>
> I am using Ubuntu Hoary, and it auto mounts to /media/<cardname>/ (in my
> case: /media/SD256/).
>
> There is no entry in my fstab... should there be one? Are removable
> drive settings stored somewhere other than fstab?
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> -Steve.

Add this to the bottom of your /etc/fstab file, substituting the sda1 for
whatever your card shows up as. Insert the card and use dmesg to see the
device name. This works for all USB media I have used. USB Flash & USB HDD &
SD Cards.

/dev/sda1        /media/sda1     auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0

There is a thread here with someone having a similar problem under hoary.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=14908&highlight=sd+card+rw

Any reason you are not upgrading to breezy? Most things work out of the
install with no issues. ( Much better than hoary )

--
Jason Shein
Director of Networking, Operations and Systems
jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
( 905 ) - 876 - 4158 Voice
( 905 ) - 876 - 5817 Mobile
http://www.detachednetworks.ca