Serial connector stuck to computer

Sy sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 30 16:28:53 UTC 2005

On 8/30/05, Colin McGregor <colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Needle nose pliers are your friend. If there isn't
> enough left at the top thumbscrew for the pliers to
> get at then you will have to attack the small nut that
> the cable screws into (a proccess you will have to
> take care with as there MAY be a small nut inside the
> case that could come loose and bounce around inside
> the case (NOT good)). Either way, you will be going
> into the sorts of tight spaces that needle nose pliers
> do well at...

I've faced this same problem.  I ended up removing the little
hexagonal receptical the way you describe.

As an aside, I've also had a random nut bouncing around my case (a few
times).  I remember finding one sometime later.  I moved it a bit..
intuited something funny.. shook the computer and noted the sound..
openned it and shook the nut out.

I've also dropped a screw onto a live motherboard.  I was even stupid
enough to fish it off while everything was live.  Aah, those were the
days.

I remember once pulling an isa card out of a live system.  It
rebooted.  Nothing got fried.  I have no idea what I was thinking.