Serial connector stuck to computer

psema4 psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 31 03:25:50 UTC 2005

On 8/30/05, Sy <sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On 8/30/05, Colin McGregor <colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > Needle nose pliers are your friend. If there isn't
> > enough left at the top thumbscrew for the pliers to
> > get at then you will have to attack the small nut that
> > the cable screws into (a proccess you will have to
> > take care with as there MAY be a small nut inside the
> > case that could come loose and bounce around inside
> > the case (NOT good)). Either way, you will be going
> > into the sorts of tight spaces that needle nose pliers
> > do well at...
>
> I've faced this same problem. I ended up removing the little
> hexagonal receptical the way you describe.

Ended up in a similar spot a few years back with an old vga monitor's cable.
Attacked the nut inside the case after much frustration trying to get to the
inner screw.

As an aside...<snip> I remember once pulling an isa card out of a live
> system. It
> rebooted. Nothing got fried. I have no idea what I was thinking.

Lol - I envy your "skill": About 6 months ago I pulled power from a hard
drive (ide) in a running system. I was way too tired to realize the power
was still on and went ahead with it.

Fried the mobo completely. I went to sleep immediately after laughing wildly
and turning the power off. Stupid, stupid mistake ran me about $1k.
(Fortunately, it was my machine and not a clients!)

--
- SGE