VMware shared folder

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 17 15:03:44 UTC 2005

On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 05:23:18PM -0400, Steve wrote:
> I hope this isn't OT, but I have a question about running VMware in Ubuntu.
>
> After setting up VMware in Ubuntu, I installed winxp as the guest OS,
> allocating the default 4GB and placed it on a FAT32 partition. Everything
> works great so far.
>
> I created a folder on this FAT32 partition and chose it as my shared folder
> in VMware. I am able to access it within VMware/winxp. All is fine so far.
>
> My problem is that in the guest OS (winxp) it says that there is only
> 3.5GBfree in this shared folder, even though I know that the drive has
> over 10GB
> free. Is there a setting somewhere that denotes the size of the shared
> folder in VMware? I could not find any. Is it an idiosyncrasy of the
> filesystem it is on (FAT32)? Is it a limitation of VMware?
>
> Any help would be appreciated!

But if you allocate a 4GB virtual disk, wouldn't having something less
than 4GB free be about right?  If you setup samba on the host and
exported a folder from it, then I would expect to see the 10G or so free
space on it, which you could then access from windows inside vmware.

There are also some cases of showing only a certain amount of free space
even on drives much bigger with more free space on older versions of
windows.  Some seem to think any disk bigger than x GB will be shown as
a fixed maximum with a equaliy large but limited amount of free space.
As long as no program needs more than that amount free at any given time
that it checks, it really doesn't matter.  It's the older windows
versions way of saying 'this disk is plenty big and has plenty of free
space where plenty is X GB'  I think 2 or 4GB used to be the limit for
some versions of dos/windows.

Lennart Sorensen