VMware shared folder

Steve bassix-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 17 15:22:42 UTC 2005

On 8/17/05, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> But if you allocate a 4GB virtual disk, wouldn't having something less
> than 4GB free be about right? If you setup samba on the host and
> exported a folder from it, then I would expect to see the 10G or so free
> space on it, which you could then access from windows inside vmware.
>
> There are also some cases of showing only a certain amount of free space
> even on drives much bigger with more free space on older versions of
> windows. Some seem to think any disk bigger than x GB will be shown as
> a fixed maximum with a equaliy large but limited amount of free space.
> As long as no program needs more than that amount free at any given time
> that it checks, it really doesn't matter. It's the older windows
> versions way of saying 'this disk is plenty big and has plenty of free
> space where plenty is X GB' I think 2 or 4GB used to be the limit for
> some versions of dos/windows.
>
> Lennart Sorensen

Hi Lennart,

I was under the impression that the 4GB I allocated to the guest OS was for
the OS's files (ie. C: in the case of windows). winxp uses nearly 2GB on
install, so I only have around 2GB left there. The shared folder (which is
on the host) should not be limited. If it was limited in this way, then it
should only show around 2GB, not 3.5GB.

I think I may try setting up Samba on the host and access it from the guest.
I've never done that before so it will give me good practice anyway. :-)

-Steve.
--
Ubuntu :: Linux for Human Beings [Intelx86/AMD64/PowerPC]
ubuntulinux.org<http://ubuntulinux.org>