Install fest

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 9 15:15:38 UTC 2005

--- William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 07:38:15AM -0400, Colin
> McGregor wrote:
> > While the Installfest is free, you are responsible
> for paying any parking
> > charges.
>
> Perhaps, you should tell them how much for parking,
> so that they have
> sufficient coins.

Spoke to Centennial and they are talking to security
about getting parking charges waived. If they can not
get the chages waived they will be $6. I think leaving
the wording "you are responsible for paying any
parking charges." is for the moment best, but if I can
get a straight answer on fees soon that should be
noted (i.e.: "free parking" or "$6 parking").

> > - If you wish to bring more than one computer onto
> which you wish to have
> > Linux installed, feel free to do so but be advised
> that any additional
> > installations beyond the first will only be done
> if time permits.
>
> Not needed.

If someone has two PCs that they want software
installed onto I want it clear that we would be happy
to try and help, but...

> > - Installations will be done on a first come,
> first served, best efforts
> > basis as time permits with no guarantee of
> success.
>
> Not needed.
>
> > - Tell us about your level of Linux experience.
>
> Not needed.  They are newbies.

Fair point.

> > - Let us know in advance if you have a particular
> Linux distribution you are
> > interested in having installed and we will try to
> accommodate you.
>
> Not needed.  If we don't have it, we can't install
> it.

This is needed, if someone say wants say Coyote Linux,
(one of the micro (router) style distributions), I
would be happy to help, but I will want some advance
warning to make sure we have some floppies available
:-) .

> > - Let us know in advance about the chipset, model
> number, age, or other
> > pertinent details about the hardware in your
> computer, especially graphics
> > adapters, wireless network cards, PXE boot
> capabilities, and SATA
> > controllers, if you can. If you can print those
> details and bring them with
> > you to the Installfest, all the better. If
> possible, search the web for
> > Linux compatibility information for your hardware.
>
> Not needed.  It's too much to ask for newbies.

Some of these people MAY be Windows "profesionals",
i.e. people who know the hardware, just they don't
know Linux. If they know this stuff, great, if not,
well, we will work around it.

> > Bring power cords and manuals for your hardware.
>
> Manual, yes.  But, power cords?  I got few.

Yes, and I will arrange for some keyboards / mice from
my office, stillI hace seen a FEW boxes that use odd
ball power cords and well, we don't want to be facing
one of those...

Colin McGregor