Font size under X; question

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 8 14:02:01 UTC 2005

Walter Dnes wrote:
>   I'm running Gentoo linux, with Blackbox as the window manager.  I
> normally run 1152X864 on a 19" CRT monitor.  Working with 2560x1920
> digital photos means Gimp comes up with width and height scaled down to
> 33% to fit it into the window; fair enough.  I figured that I'd try
> 1600x1200, so that the image width and height only need to be scaled
> down to 50% to fit.
>
>   Gimp is still bringing up the image at 33%.  The font is the same
> pixel height as before.  A reasonable font at 1152x864 is microscopic
> and virtually unreadable at 1600x1200.  This isn't Gimp-only.  The font
> for Blackbox menus and Firefox is also miniscule.  I hope there's a
> generic setting somewhere to boost font sizes as resolution increases.
> What is the process?

Are your fonts at 96dpi? Not sure if this will help you, though it
certainly improved things for me moving from Gnome to KDE.

Putting the following line in the monitor section of your xorg.conf (not
sure about XFree) and restarting X should make your fonts much more legible:

DisplaySize	423	318  	# 1600x1400 96dpi

This line comes from the following:

displaysize = <pixelsize>/96*25.4

You might also want to use gtf (if you haven't already) to compute an
appropriate modeline for your monitor's refresh rate at that resolution.

Hope this helps.