Font size under X; question

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 8 04:45:40 UTC 2005

  I'm running Gentoo linux, with Blackbox as the window manager.  I
normally run 1152X864 on a 19" CRT monitor.  Working with 2560x1920
digital photos means Gimp comes up with width and height scaled down to
33% to fit it into the window; fair enough.  I figured that I'd try
1600x1200, so that the image width and height only need to be scaled
down to 50% to fit.

  Gimp is still bringing up the image at 33%.  The font is the same
pixel height as before.  A reasonable font at 1152x864 is microscopic
and virtually unreadable at 1600x1200.  This isn't Gimp-only.  The font
for Blackbox menus and Firefox is also miniscule.  I hope there's a
generic setting somewhere to boost font sizes as resolution increases.
What is the process?

My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca