Monitor correction chart?

Peter plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 8 12:44:54 UTC 2005

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005, Walter Dnes wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 04:27:56AM +0300, Peter wrote
>
>> If you calibrate the screen to the printer output all your edited files
>> will only print right with your printer, with the paper you are using,
>
>  What I was trying to say was... go out and buy (yes, pay cash) for
>
>  1) a reference-chart/test-pattern printout that is guaranteed correct

You may find that that will cost you about as much as a cheap computer.
The 'cheap' charts linked to by another poster were just about USD100
per and that *is* cheap for charts. A professional logarythmic grayscale
chart is not printed, but assembled (with glue) from strips and masks of
standard (chosen and manufactured by the maker) gray cardboard or
similar. Each shade of gray is from a different material. It may set you
back $500, new, depending on size and quality. Color charts are also
assembled from dozens or hundreds of color fading-proof squares and
other pieces of material. In a way it's just expensive origami but too
many people depend on it for their work so the price is appropriate.
They are also expected to last 5 years in studio use (i.e. under
several 2000+Watt lights and in the sun) without fading or changing.

Also many will argue that the professional chart is useless without a
densitometer (colorimeter). And they are likely right. For 24 bit color
each color must be resolved to about 0.5% to justify the system. You
can't do that with your eyes. And you don't really need it for normal
photo work, only in professional printing work.

>  2) the digital file that was used to generate the reference-chart
>
> ...and then load the digital file (gif, jpeg, whatever) with any viewer
> program and twiddle knobs as necessary until what I see on the screen
> matches what I see on the paper.

The point is that if you really want quality, there will not be enough
knobs to twiddle. You have to define what you need, because there is no
end to it. The ICC correction map uses a large dataset to achieve
correction. It maps each R,G,B value to another R,G,B value either
directly or by interpolation. You are talking about editing a dataset
that can be 1MB in size and larger. I have not seen a tool that does
this manually but it could be done (likely using bezier curve
manipulations in a gui that represents an input/output cartesian space
for each color - like gimp uses). I think that proper color correction
requires more than that (like NAM) but it may be enough for visual
purposes. By more I mean color interdependency especially at high
saturation levels. The pigments in the printer ink overlap in absorption
spectra and it is necessary to back off certain colors to get accurate
shades depending on color mix and on which color gets printed over
which. CRT screens have very narrow emission lines which are unable to
render certain colors (the human eye integrates them so you see what you
want to see but that's not what's there). LCD colors have broader
spectra and their white backlights have a wide white spectrum so they
have the same problem as the printers (overlap requires backoff). So
it's a huge can of worms and it all depends on how much you want to
spend and how good it has to be.

The way I have shown, to find a chart file as pdf, go to a digital
printer and have it printed on the best matte photo paper he has, A4
size (letter), and use it as I have shown will get you as near as
possible to what you need for well under $50 and half a day's worth of
work. It will also make you perfectly compatible with that digital
printer should you ever need it. That's just my opinion.

Peter