database vs filesystem performance -> advocacy welcome!

Francois Ouellette fouellet-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 8 12:13:11 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Brockway" <rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org>
To: <tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org>
Sent: Monday, August 08, 2005 12:30 AM
Subject: Re: [TLUG]: database vs filesystem performance -> advocacy welcome!
> On Sun, 7 Aug 2005, Francois Ouellette wrote:
>
> > Again, the problem isn't only related to the SQL Server product, but
also to
> > the way Windoze Server in general can deal with high-throughput
processing
> > and I/O requirements.
>
> I read an interesting article last year written by a Windows guru.  He set
> out to compare interprocess pipes for Linux (2.4 kernel), Win2K and WinXP.
> He admitted to being surprised by the results and I admire his integrity
> in putting them out in a (largely) unbiased form.  He tried to play down
> Linux's success a bit but what it amounted to was the Linux was twice as
> fast at as Win2K and Win2K was twice as fast as WinXP in the area he was
> investigating.  I originally found the report on ibm.com
>
> Rob

Interesting!

Anyone who has done some application or system programming on Windoze and
Linux/UNIX could attest of those results, even before doing any
benchmarking!

Windoze products were originally designed to run on top of DOS for
single-user desktop officework applications. Then MS hired Dave Cutler from
Digital Equipment Corp, who is the guy who was behind at least two immensely
successful operating systems (RSX-11M and VAX/VMS), to design Windows-NT,
which reached popularity as a small server platform but (to my opinion) was
never in the same technology league as the other manufacturers' products,
mainly due to the hardware platform it used and the fact that it had to
retain the "Windoze" attributes and support the MFC environment. The NTFS
part was a big improvement to the simplistic FAT system, but it was still a
Windoze system with the annoying point-and-click user interface... This
evolved into the other incarnations of the "server" flavour of O/S that we
have seen since.

  François Ouellette
<fouellet-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>