database vs filesystem performance

Ansar Mohammed ansarm-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 8 04:32:00 UTC 2005

<snip>

I would suggest looking at www.tpc.org for benchmark info. This is an
excellent resource for comparing different RDBMS systems performance.
I don’t know if this application is home grown but from personal experience,
most database performance issues have been from poorly written code. <I am
not saying that this is such a case however>

Also another thing to consider is that any high capacity system is going to
require serious tuning. On my current project we are approaching 1TB on our
SAN. At this level, it's an entirely new ballgame.