database vs filesystem performance -> advocacy welcome!

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 8 04:30:28 UTC 2005

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005, Francois Ouellette wrote:

> Again, the problem isn't only related to the SQL Server product, but also to
> the way Windoze Server in general can deal with high-throughput processing
> and I/O requirements.

I read an interesting article last year written by a Windows guru.  He set
out to compare interprocess pipes for Linux (2.4 kernel), Win2K and WinXP.
He admitted to being surprised by the results and I admire his integrity
in putting them out in a (largely) unbiased form.  He tried to play down
Linux's success a bit but what it amounted to was the Linux was twice as
fast at as Win2K and Win2K was twice as fast as WinXP in the area he was
investigating.  I originally found the report on ibm.com

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.		Phone:	+1-416-669-3073
Senior Technical Consultant	Email:	support-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org