database vs filesystem performance -> advocacy welcome!

Francois Ouellette fouellet-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 8 02:14:46 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marc Lijour" <marc-bbkyySd1vPWsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org>
To: <tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org>
Sent: Sunday, 07 August, 2005 21:56
Subject: Re: [TLUG]: database vs filesystem performance -> advocacy welcome!

> If you have some good links I could use, it would be my true pleasure to
do a
> follow-up with my boss ;-)
> --

Well, just put "SQL Server Performance" in the window of a search engine and
you will see that there are a lot of companies out there specializing in
tools and services just for that... not a good sign!

Last year I worked at UNISYS, a vendor of Wintel mainframes, they also
developed complex software tools to monitor and tune (way of speaking) SQL
Server systems, I can tell you this isn't an easy subject.

Again, the problem isn't only related to the SQL Server product, but also to
the way Windoze Server in general can deal with high-throughput processing
and I/O requirements.

  François Ouellette
<fouellet-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>