Semi-OT: Database for "average" users

phil phillip-l+pbsqP8NtUm29vl6s1fFg at public.gmane.org
Sat Apr 30 16:09:21 UTC 2005

 From time to time I get into discussions about why people don't make
better use of database technology.  The fact that I've worked with it
for over 20 years probably makes me insensitive to some of the problems
most people (or small organizations) face when it comes to working with
-- and especially being introduced to -- DB systems.

The common example I'm faced with is, what to do about people who would
like to use Open Source software, but think MS Access isn't
user-friendly enough.  I once suggested someone try MySQL + phpMyAdmin
and they reacted by saying, "I have to install TWO things?!?"  I
thought for a second and then retracted my suggestion.  :-)

I guess the question is, anyone know of a project designed to bring an
all-in-one database solution to end users such that conceptually easy
things are, in fact, easy to do?  (Does anyone think it's even
possible?)

Any general comments about database ease of use, or lack thereof, are
also of interest.

Phillip Mills
Multi-platform software development
(416) 224-0714