Any Recommendations for Linux Friendly Digital Still Camera?

Stewart C. Russell scruss-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sat Apr 30 14:03:14 UTC 2005

Sy wrote:

> /me clutches chest and falls over

In a good way, or ...?

> A friend of mine was working in the industry and mentioned that the
> "high end"cameras were bloody expensive and not nearly as good a ratio
> of quality:cost as the mid range stuff.

The reason the pro equipment is seemingly so expensive is that it's
built for extremely heavy use, every day. Go to a used camera store, and
seek out a used camera from a press photog. It'll have scratches, dents
and mystery gouges in its metal case, but it'll still work. The D70
wouldn't last a week.

> there's a 12 megapixel model

I hope they've fixed the contrast problems with the big sensors. The
first generation was okay for portraits, but not much else. Also, if you
have a 12MP workflow, you had better be ready to handle some large files.

If you really want to fall over, go to Vistek, and see the specs on some
of their medium format digital backs. A cool $39,000 each.

cheers,
 Stewart