Any Recommendations for Linux Friendly Digital Still Camera?

Sy sy1235-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Apr 30 16:10:50 UTC 2005

On 4/30/05, Stewart C. Russell <scruss-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Sy wrote:
> >
> > /me clutches chest and falls over
>
> In a good way, or ...?

In a heart attack kinda way, because I was thinking of getting such a
thing.. nope, I wanna go to summer camp instead.  =)

> The reason the pro equipment is seemingly so expensive is that it's
> built for extremely heavy use, every day. Go to a used camera store, and
> seek out a used camera from a press photog. It'll have scratches, dents
> and mystery gouges in its metal case, but it'll still work. The D70
> wouldn't last a week.

Excellent point.  I did notice the specs on the material being used
for the housing.  It reminded me of ruggesized laptops, back when they
were more in vogue.  Magnesium alloy housings and such are cool.  =)

> I hope they've fixed the contrast problems with the big sensors. The
> first generation was okay for portraits, but not much else. Also, if you
> have a 12MP workflow, you had better be ready to handle some large files.

I hadn't thought of the problems of action shots and scenes and such
with the bigger guys.  I would hope they'd be more valuable than for
just portraits.  I think I'm leaning more towards ruggesized (and
water resistant) smaller cameras.. because I don't like lugging
something around.  Battery life is also a big issue.

For sure working with a huge MP rating would make for huge files.. I
don't think I could justify anything over 3MP to be honest.. although
maybe I should think about quality on-print more than on-screen, which
is how I've thought in the past.

> If you really want to fall over, go to Vistek, and see the specs on some
> of their medium format digital backs. A cool $39,000 each.

=8o--|--<

whoa.. costly.  But then I'd bet the optics in them are fantastic.
Man is that stuff expensive.

---

Well.. I had thought about the issues of getting pictures out from the
internal storage of a camera.. usb seemed logical, and it's nice to
see that there are cameras which are just used as mass storage
devices.  I've had good luck with various other doodads which act like
that.

Controlling a camera via usb is something I hadn't thought of before.
There are cameras which double as webcams.. ok, there are webcams
which double as cameras, which I've looked at.. and I wondered at how
Linux-compatible they are.

I think I may end up going for a camera which uses a storage card of
some kind, because my cardreader works just great.  Webcamming.. well
I would probably just get a basic webcam and have my toys do one thing
and one thing well.  =)

Btw, reading through that one manufacturer website was an eye opener..
it's nice to see the technology has improved quite a lot since my last
peek into digital cameras.