Annoying wireless router

Peter plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 29 17:25:17 UTC 2005

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005, Jason Shein wrote:

> Some things can cause strange interference with wireless. I heard of one
> instance where the wireless AP would for no reason drop the client. Random
> times, random length of time etc. it turned out that it was the neighbors
> microwave oven that was causing the drop every time it was used ( Wonder how
> THAT passed radio interference inspection )

A standard 700Watt microwave oven with 60dB insulation will radiate some
0.7mW of RF power, more than enough to silence a AP signal. Most of it
will not be in band but it will be there. 60dB is a very good insulation
(1 millionth of the power escapes - most devices are much worse than
that, FCC etc regulations require something like 45dB or so insulation
for that band and that means the oven would radiate some 10mW). Here is
a page that explains dB and ratios:

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/conceptd.nsf/webmain/36EA112B7F683D7686256811004DD454

I cannot find a handy reference on allowed spurious radiation from an
oven.

Peter