Annoying wireless router

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 29 13:12:57 UTC 2005

On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 12:38:40AM -0400, Jason Shein wrote:
> Step 3: Hardware misbehaving
>
> I have run into certain combinations of PCMCIA cards and access points that
> have had personality differences. Simply by changing the card or the AP the
> probelm was fixed.

Of course who knows if it is the client that is the problem and not the
AP/router. :)

If 2 or 3 routers in a row show the same behaviour, it is time to look
at the client and the environment instead.

> Step 4: Interference
>
> Some things can cause strange interference with wireless. I heard of one
> instance where the wireless AP would for no reason drop the client. Random
> times, random length of time etc. it turned out that it was the neighbors
> microwave oven that was causing the drop every time it was used ( Wonder how
> THAT passed radio interference inspection )

I believe the _model_ has to pass, that doesn't mean every single one is
necesarily checked.  Although in the case of microwaves you would hope
they did, but who knows with the prices of microwaves today.

Lennart Sorensen