A short list of things I want out of TLUG

Peter plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 26 21:54:51 UTC 2005

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Sy wrote:

> It's hard to communicate that open source is the right choice for
> moral reasons.. or that it simply "feels good".  The culture of
> business is so utterly alien it's freaky.. I'm sure that's why it's
> sometimes mistaken as evil.

Anything that is sufficiently different and competes will be considered
in turn, evil, unconstitutional, to be exorcised, made illegal, or
otherwise disabled. It is a measure of the degree of civilisation of the
defending team whether they accept progress in due time or resort to
thumbscrews and bailiffs to prevent it as long as possible.

> I can still see not insignificant corrupting influences and a slew of
> nasty tricks by the powers in place.  I see this entire open source
> thing as one big threat to a well-entrenched culture.

Other notable nasty threats were men of protestant faith in a Catholic
world, freed men in slaving times, steam engines and looms about a
century and a half ago, and so on. If you expect progress to be greeted
with applause and ovations you must have missed most of your history
lessons imho.

> This isn't even an "open source" versus "closed source" battle of
> philosophies.. this is a "old money" (think founding technologies)
> versus "new money" (think dotcom) versus those "free love hippy tree
> hugging software developers". ;)

A normal businessman who runs an operation that is not bankrupt will
always look at the bottom line. The bottom line for the use of free
software and open source is such, that all the major IT players have
embarked on it, quietly, not quietly, nerver mind how, but they are all
*in*. So never mind what they *say* mind what they *do*. For example
90+% of emails coming from IT people who reject open software use offers
for their organisations are forwarded by open source mail transport
agents in their own organisations. At least that's what I saw by
collecting headers for a while.

So it's easy: keep doing what you do, do it well, and know that the
economical pressures that make an IT person think twice about an
extortionate server license price given alternatives are your best
ticket for the future.

$0.02
Peter