ubuntu apt-get nuthin !

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 13 15:26:38 UTC 2005

On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 03:13:06PM +0000, Jason Shein wrote:
> This is one of the main reasons that Debian is considering dropping all but 4
> architectures in the coming months
>
> http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2005/03/14/debian_reduced/

The plan is that future releases _after_ sarge will only contain a
subset of the debian supported architectures with the rest becoming
second class citizens of debian, but still supported and used by some
people.  Code working on those architectures won't be a requirement for
packages to get released though which could very much help the release
speed and progress which has been slowed by mipsel and arm and a few
others in the past with slow build systems and odd settings for some
things.

> It might have, but I enjoy packages on my personal pc's that are slightly more
> recent than 2002. I have used Sid on many occasions, and I have it running on
> a few systems now. But it is still much more work to get a Sid based system
> to the same functionality level as Ubuntu, in a mobile environment for
> example.

I don't think Debian stable is aimed at desktops.  It is aimed at a very
reliable stable base for a server or other critical system.  I run
testing on desktops most of the time, and sometimes even unstable (like
my home machine) since I like trying to actually find the problems and
report them (I have made many entries in the debian BTS).

> I enjoy the stability and reliability of Debian in a server environment, but I
> enjoy the speed at which linux applications are evolving and improving. On my
> Gentoo desktop I have applications with new features that are amazing
> improvements, and are perfectly stable. At the current rate of upgrading
> packages in Debian, these should be available by early 2007

Well I find debian testing/unstable to be great desktop releases with
about the same stability as many other distributions get in their actual
releases, except with much faster response to fixing any bugs found than
they would have.

Lennart Sorensen