ubuntu apt-get nuthin !

Jason Shein jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 13 15:13:06 UTC 2005

On April 13, 2005 02:44 pm, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> Well it is easier to take mostly working stuff and optimize it for one
> type of machine (x86 PCs) than it is to try and make it work the same on
> 10+ architectures.  Debian does the hard work and insist it be done
> right, Ubuntu has different goals and do a good job at getting to those
> goals.

This is one of the main reasons that Debian is considering dropping all but 4
architectures in the coming months

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2005/03/14/debian_reduced/

> > With ubuntu I can use my laptop for what I oringinally intended -
> > mobility. I am currently getting over 4 hours use on a battery charge,
> > where with debian I was only getting 1.5 hours. I know that I could have
> > added the functionality, but why the need to?
>
> And if you installed Sarge or Sid would it have set it up automatically
> too?  Well probably not all of it, but perhasp some of it.  Hibernation
> is certainly a feature rather specific to only a few platforms.

It might have, but I enjoy packages on my personal pc's that are slightly more
recent than 2002. I have used Sid on many occasions, and I have it running on
a few systems now. But it is still much more work to get a Sid based system
to the same functionality level as Ubuntu, in a mobile environment for
example.

I enjoy the stability and reliability of Debian in a server environment, but I
enjoy the speed at which linux applications are evolving and improving. On my
Gentoo desktop I have applications with new features that are amazing
improvements, and are perfectly stable. At the current rate of upgrading
packages in Debian, these should be available by early 2007

--
Jason Shein
Director of Networking, Operations and Systems
jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
( 905 ) - 876 - 4158 Voice
( 905 ) - 876 - 5817 Mobile
http://www.detachednetworks.ca