ubuntu apt-get nuthin !

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 13 14:44:29 UTC 2005

On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 02:42:09PM +0000, Jason Shein wrote:
> One thing I will say here about debian vs ubuntu
>
> I have now installed kubuntu on my laptop.
> Toshiba Satellite 1900 P4 1.6
>
> It is the first linux based distro of any flavour to install on this laptop
> with EVERYTHING fully functional, right out of the install. ACPI, suspend to
> RAM, hibernate to disk, CPU power profiles, and wireless is perfect as well.
> I was able to patch the orinoco drivers for monitor mode, install kismet
> 2005, and it works perfectly. Attempting the same feat on a pure debian
> unstable install on this laptop resulted in a HUGE headache to get monitor
> mode to work. Once it did, kismet kept segfaulting regardless of the card I
> used.

Well it is easier to take mostly working stuff and optimize it for one
type of machine (x86 PCs) than it is to try and make it work the same on
10+ architectures.  Debian does the hard work and insist it be done
right, Ubuntu has different goals and do a good job at getting to those
goals.

> With ubuntu I can use my laptop for what I oringinally intended - mobility. I
> am currently getting over 4 hours use on a battery charge, where with debian
> I was only getting 1.5 hours. I know that I could have added the
> functionality, but why the need to?

And if you installed Sarge or Sid would it have set it up automatically
too?  Well probably not all of it, but perhasp some of it.  Hibernation
is certainly a feature rather specific to only a few platforms.

Lennart Sorensen