High Speed Internet and Modems and stuff

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 13 14:48:54 UTC 2005

On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 10:20:42AM -0400, Gord Jeoffroy wrote:
> Sympatico's been a bit misleading: they don't provide TECH support for Linux, but you can certainly connect to their service from it.
>
> There's a FAQ here: http://service.sympatico.ca/index.cfm?method=content.view&content_id=1138&category_id=99
>
> But I warn you: Linux isn't for "non-computer types." Heck, even the Sympatico help desk finds it so tricky that they won't support it. It's an amazing OS, but it was built to be powerful and flexible, not user-friendly.. Definitely NOT trying to scare your friend off; just trying to make him aware.

It is rather easy to setup pppoe today using an external adsl ethernet
modem connected to a supported ethernet card.  Any decent ISP will give
you the settings you need (username, password and provider name for
pppoe, and that's it, well optionally mail server, dns server and such).

A hardware dialup modem will cost almost as much as buying an adsl modem
if not more, and dialup service isn't much cheaper than 3Mbit ADSL
either.  Not really worth it if you have the choice to go with something
faster.

A nice fast ADSL connection (3Mbit/800kbit) should be about $30 in Toronto
while cable from rogers costs more (but is just a matter of connect to
ethernet port, and enable dhcp and you are done, except email could be a
hassle with that smtp auth stuff rogers insist on).

Lennart Sorensen