High Speed Internet and Modems and stuff

Gord Jeoffroy gord-nLHz8UdEZnjwvR0lvYjcXw at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 13 14:20:42 UTC 2005

Howard!

Sympatico's been a bit misleading: they don't provide TECH support for Linux, but you can certainly connect to their service from it.

There's a FAQ here: http://service.sympatico.ca/index.cfm?method=content.view&content_id=1138&category_id=99

But I warn you: Linux isn't for "non-computer types." Heck, even the Sympatico help desk finds it so tricky that they won't support it. It's an amazing OS, but it was built to be powerful and flexible, not user-friendly.. Definitely NOT trying to scare your friend off; just trying to make him aware.

Cheers!

Gord Jeoffroy
I.T. Manager, Hume Imaging Inc.
Phone: 416-921-7204 x225
Cell: 416-902-0920
Fax: 416-921-7386
Web: www.humeimaging.com

>>> hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org 04/13/05 10:29am >>>
   A non-computer-geek friend of mine has finally broken down and bought a computer.  He has installed Fedora_2 from the Red Hat Fedore Linux 2 Bible.  This is very good.

   He is looking into getting high speed internet.  He has called Sympatico and has been told that they do not support Linux.  I am still connecting through the phone to Echo Online (WinTel?).

   What is the easiest way for a non-computer type to get a Linux box connected to the internet?  I know that the phone has become very easy.  Who is the recommended service?  What modems and drivers seem to work for everyone?

   I have searched through a couple of websites, but I suspect that this is very simple.

   Also, someone else asked me about Linux and USB modems.  I have directed him to the Linux USB website. http://www.linux-usb.org/, which looks informative.  Is there personal experience out there I can pass on?

   Thanks.

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org