High Speed Internet and Modems and stuff

Peter Hiscocks phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 13 14:22:15 UTC 2005

My experience is that USB modems don't work with Linux. I had to trade mine
in to Pathcom, my ISP, to get one that has a 'network' interface - ie, plugs
into the RJ-45 jack on the computer.

Usually the ISP provides setup information for a Windows machine. Then you
can copy the same settings into the Linux control panels. The Suse distro is
pretty straightforward. Dunno about current versions of RedHat, but the
older versions are a lot more complicated - or so it seemed to me when  I
looked at it.

Peter

On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 10:29:54AM -0400, Howard Gibson wrote:
>    A non-computer-geek friend of mine has finally broken down and bought a computer.  He has installed Fedora_2 from the Red Hat Fedore Linux 2 Bible.  This is very good.
>
>    He is looking into getting high speed internet.  He has called Sympatico and has been told that they do not support Linux.  I am still connecting through the phone to Echo Online (WinTel?).
>
>    What is the easiest way for a non-computer type to get a Linux box connected to the internet?  I know that the phone has become very easy.  Who is the recommended service?  What modems and drivers seem to work for everyone?
>
>    I have searched through a couple of websites, but I suspect that this is very simple.
>
>    Also, someone else asked me about Linux and USB modems.  I have directed him to the Linux USB website. http://www.linux-usb.org/, which looks informative.  Is there personal experience out there I can pass on?
>
>    Thanks.
>
> --
> Howard Gibson
> hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org