Offsite backups for the rest of us?

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 12 02:22:56 UTC 2005

Walter Dnes wrote:
>   After looking at this, I'm interested in external 2.5" form factor
> drives, even though they are pricier.  They're supposed to fit in my
> shirt pock, and will probably fit into my safety-deposit box.  I don't
> mind slow, but I'd like 20 gigs at least.  I think I'll start by taking
> a ruler to the bank and check the interior dimensions of my safety
> deposit box.  Then I'll have something definite to check the size of
> drives (including enclosure).
>
>   Does anybody have suggestions about places on "computer row" downtown?
> I'd like to physically check the size of the enclosure before buying a
> pair of drives.

I've had luck with Canada Computers on the south side near the west end
of the strip. A word of caution though; I've tries three different types
of 2.5" USB2 drive carriers and all three failed to work for my under
FC2 and FC3. They would show up, I could format them and I could copy a
few files. Once a large copy was under way though they would all lose
the drive and fail.

This doesn't seem to be a general problem though because I also use the
external Kingwin carrier with removable drive bays and they work
perfectly. They do sell those as well (and they'll be cheaper because
the $$/GB is cheaper for 3.5" drives) and because each drive is
removable the carrier is only a little bigger than a 3.5" disk.

Madison