Offsite backups for the rest of us?

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 12 03:14:59 UTC 2005

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005, Walter Dnes wrote:

>   After looking at this, I'm interested in external 2.5" form factor
> drives, even though they are pricier.  They're supposed to fit in my

The 2.5" models also have the advantage that they do not require an
external pwoer adapter (at least this applies to the ones I've seen).

Having said this I standardised on the 3.5" mainly because it was so much
easier to get really large drives.

> shirt pock, and will probably fit into my safety-deposit box.  I don't
> mind slow, but I'd like 20 gigs at least.  I think I'll start by taking
> a ruler to the bank and check the interior dimensions of my safety
> deposit box.  Then I'll have something definite to check the size of
> drives (including enclosure).
>
>   Does anybody have suggestions about places on "computer row" downtown?

You can scan the lot in about 25 minutes.  This is what I do when I want
to buy an item like this.  I might save 10%.

> I'd like to physically check the size of the enclosure before buying a
> pair of drives.

In my experience (or various models) I'd say it is ok to assume the case
is 5% larger than the drive itself in each dimension[1].

[1] Except maybe time, I haven't figured that out yet :)

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.