Offsite backups for the rest of us?

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 12 02:18:59 UTC 2005

On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 07:49:17AM -0400, Robert Brockway wrote

> I suggest a harddrive in an firewire/usb/dual case.  I suggest an
> arrangement of at least two such devices with a rule that at least one
> must be kept off site at all times.  This type of solution is used for
> many home users and small businesses.  You can easily give yourself
> hundreds of GB storage per device and run a full/incremental backup scheme
> with a staging area locally.  For a $300 initial investment you could
> be set for years of safe backups.
>
> Tiger Direct are currently offering 120GB 5400rpm drives for $49.97 (after
> rebate, excluding tax, etc).  I was unimpressed with their customer
> service recently but the value of these drives for backup devices is hard
> to ignore.  Since backups would typically happen when you are asleep the
> slower rpm of the drive is not a significant issue, IMHO.
>
> Reference:
> http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Category/category_hdd.asp

  After looking at this, I'm interested in external 2.5" form factor
drives, even though they are pricier.  They're supposed to fit in my
shirt pock, and will probably fit into my safety-deposit box.  I don't
mind slow, but I'd like 20 gigs at least.  I think I'll start by taking
a ruler to the bank and check the interior dimensions of my safety
deposit box.  Then I'll have something definite to check the size of
drives (including enclosure).

  Does anybody have suggestions about places on "computer row" downtown?
I'd like to physically check the size of the enclosure before buying a
pair of drives.

An infinite number of monkeys pounding away on keyboards will
eventually produce a report showing that Windows is more secure,
and has a lower TCO, than linux.